Learn how to maintain your pneumatic deadman actuator by periodically replacing its wear parts.
What is a Deadman Actuator?
Also known as a Deadman control handle, the deadman actuator is an integral component of the sandblasting system. It operates as the on/off switch of your abrasive blasting system, providing you direct control over the flow of abrasive and air to the blast hose of a sandblasting machine. We offer both pneumatic and electric variations of this part.
Click here for instructions on repairing the electric red head deadman.
The Deadman actuator plays a critical role in maintaining safety on the jobsite. By providing operators with immediate control over the blasting operation, it can prevent accidents and injuries, making it a key element of any safety protocol for blasting operations.
In short, preventative maintenance of your Deadman actuator is not just a recommendation - it's a necessity. Thankfully, maintenance for this part is pretty simple and should only take a few minutes. You'll just need some basic tools and a part replacement kit from our store.
How to Repair your Pneumatic Deadman
Step by Step
- Start by pushing in the safety button to hold it in place. Loosen the bolt connected to it from the other side.
- Remove the bolt, safety button, and the large spring underneath the safety button. Inside our replacement part kit is a new large spring for replacement.
- Loosen the bolt on the top handle of the deadman controller and remove.
- Remove the top handle from the rest of the controller and inspect the small spring and seat disk. These are the two remaining wear parts to replace as needed.
- Reassembly is as simple as repeating the steps above in reverse.
IMPORTANT: After reassembly, ensure that the safety button on your deadman is functioning properly again before reconnecting it to your machine.